|Location|| ||201 W Washington Ave|
Madison, WI 53703
|Employee Type|| ||Exempt|
|Job Category|| ||Business and Investment Attraction|
|Minimum Experience|| ||5 Years|
|Required Degree|| ||4 Year Degree|
Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation
BUSINESS & INVESTMENT ATTRACTION DIRECTOR – OMBUDSMAN SERVICES
The Business and Investment Attraction Director – Ombudsman Services serves as a liaison and ombudsman for significant commercial or industrial projects underway in Wisconsin. This individual will be charged with helping to identify, align and assemble resources, particularly workforce and supply chain-related, for companies that are relocating or expanding in the state. The Business and Investment Attraction Director – Ombudsman Services reports to the Deputy Secretary/COO but must also work closely with the Strategic Economic Initiatives Director at the Department of Administration, as well as maintaining relationships with other state agencies, workforce and industry associations, and regional/local economic development organizations.
The Business and Investment Attraction Director – Ombudsman Services will spend a majority of his/her time in these activities:
• Serving as WEDC’s point-person for companies that have committed to relocate to, or expand in, Wisconsin, resulting in the significant creation of jobs and capital investment.
• This position also serves as the state's electronics manufacturing small business development director.
• Providing liaison services that aid in the success of these companies’ projects, including: supply chain connections, workforce development initiatives, industry and academia integration and collaborations, etc.
• Promoting opportunities to other Wisconsin businesses that may benefit from the new investment or operations.
• Act as a spokesperson for WEDC on the status, benefits/impacts or details of assigned significant projects/clients.
• Coordinate with other WEDC divisions in connecting their clients or programs to assigned clients.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Economic Development, Community Development, Urban or Regional Planning, Economics, Business Administration, Marketing, Workforce Development or related field.
• Minimum of five years of experience in economic development, business, industry, business development, workforce development or related field.
• Knowledge of Wisconsin State Agency programs and services available to Wisconsin businesses, as well as having a general idea of the programs and opportunities for businesses within the UW System, Wisconsin Technical Colleges System and Wisconsin Association of Independent Colleges & Universities.
Skills and Talents:
• Ability to develop statewide strategic and operational plans.
• Ability to motivate and manage professionals.
• Ability to align people, systems, processes, and metrics to achieve enterprise goals.
• Broad understanding of economic and business growth drivers.
• Ability to influence senior level business managers and government officials.
• Ability to develop cooperative, productive relationships with partner organizations.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of individuals and groups.
• PC applications including word processing, spreadsheet, database management and Windows software.
• Strong project management and organizational skills.
• Possess a high level of knowledge of state and federal laws/regulations, rules, policies and procedures.
• International, national, and state-wide travel will occur on an occasional basis, less than 30% of the time. Travel is anticipated to include day and overnight travel.
• Possession of a valid driver's license and proof of auto insurance that meets minimum state requirements are required.
• This position is eligible for reimbursement according to the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) program. This position requires the employee to provide a mobile device that allows for phone, text, and email access.
• Based on the responsibilities of this position, this position may need to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.